Index Home About Blog
From: jfross@ix.netcom.com (John Ross)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Elmer Keith's Reputation
Date: 14 Jan 1997 19:39:27 -0500

On 14 Jan 1997 10:22:23 -0500, Jeff Bryant <jbryant@europa.com> wrote:

#Being fairly ignorant, Elmer's story as reprinted in one of the gun rags
#in the last year, had the ring of truth.  What made it more believable
#is his use of "ranging' shots.  That is, he didn't just claim to have
#killed the deer with one shot at 500 yds.
#
#Instead his story relates how it took several shots and lots of
#running/tracking.  And you'll notice he wasn't particularly concerned
#abouta "humane" kill

The reason he "wasn't worried about a humane kill" is that THE ANIMAL
WAS ALREADY WOUNDED BY THE CLIENT, WHO WAS OUT OF AMMO!  It was
getting dark and Keith had nothing to lose.

Personally, I am astonished at the people who still doubt this story.
Twenty or more years ago, I could understand the skepticism.  But
today, we have people shooting PERFECT scores in the standing revolver
class in metallic silhouette competition.  That's FORTY OUT OF FORTY.
Elmer Keith was shooting long range with a handgun when only a few
people bothered to try it.  Now, there are many practitioners who show
what is possible time and again, yet people still call him a liar.

I first met Elmer Keith at his house in Salmon when I went up there to
shoot with him as a teenager.  We spent a fair amount of time together
in the '70s, considering that we lived 1800 miles apart.  I have known
many good long-range pistol shots, but Elmer was one of the fastest
men I have ever met at getting "on" a target (moving or stationary)
with a revolver and triggering an aimed shot.

Over the years I have attempted to duplicate almost all of the
shooting feats Keith wrote about that I never actually saw him
perform, just for my own amusement.  I have accomplished most of them,
after considerable practice.  On the ones I have not yet accomplished,
I have come close enough that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind
they are possible.

JR

Index Home About Blog