Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns
From: cramer@optilink.dsccc.com (Clayton Cramer)
Subject: Re: Ground Imaging Radar
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 23:53:43 GMT

In article <CoMGzE.A8z@cbnewsc.cb.att.com>,
Morris the Cat <rats@cbnewsc.cb.att.com> wrote:

>Bury pieces of iron? Why bother?
>
>Think what fun you could have with pieces of common kitchen aluminum
>foil stapled onto pieces of styrofoam and buried! It's not as though
>they were using millimeter wave to image, right? Or even if they
>did, just cut the pieces into the appropriate shapes.

A friend of mine worked for several months of this sort of hidden
weapons cache searching operations (for the South African Army).
He indicated car batteries were a recurring source of frustration.
He also indicated that even with their (apparently American made)
sophisticated equipment, a single gun buried more than six feet
down stood a good chance of being undetected.  In one case, they
found a cache of several dozen rifles and some hand grenades
outside Johannesburg.

And yes, he was drafted, and is very happy to be out of that
disaster.  When he returned from a vacation home a couple of years
ago, I asked him it looked like a civil war was breaking out?
"Oh no, it's nowhere near that organized.  Just random murder."
--
Clayton E. Cramer {uunet,pyramid}!optilink!cramer  My opinions, all mine!
Information Superhighway Engineer -- please slow down when you see the

Index Home About Blog