Index Home About Blog
From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: S&W model 29
Date: 17 Sep 90 20:31:59 GMT

In article <8723@orca.wv.tek.com> smithw@mathnx.math.byu.edu (William V.
Smith) writes:

>About 10 years ago, I purchased a Smith and Wesson .44 Mag with the 8 3/8 "
>bore.  I haven't shot it much lately, but I've heard rumors that this gun is
>prone to develop problems with cylinder alignment and stability, the cylinder
>actually falling open after firing heavy loads.  Has anyone out there had this

The problem of the cylinder unlatching with heavy loads is caused by
cylinder backspin, which is inherent in the way the S&W revolver is
designed.  The usual fix is to replace the springs and latches, but a
more sensible solution is to buy a gun designed around .44 Magnum
ammunition, such as a Ruger Redhawk, and not simply a beefed up turn of
the century design.

--

	Ed Harris at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Index Home About Blog