Index Home About Blog
From: bartb@hpfcla.fc.hp.com (Bart Bobbitt)
Subject: Torquing for Tinys

Having epoxy bedded a friend's Anschutz 1413 free rifle, I checked it out
yesterday with several lots of Eley Tenex match ammo.  I also wanted to
find out what amount of torque on its stock screws was best to get the
smallest groups.  This lot produces about 6 to 8 fps standard deviation in
muzzle velocity.  Other lots were in the 14 to 42 fps Sd range; not good.

I first fired 15 shots to foul/warm the barrel; a typical thing to do
with .22 LR rimfire rifles.  After finding an ammo lot that showed promise
of tiny groups, I began varying the torque on the stock screws and shooting
10-shot groups in an underground, 100-yard range.  All groups were about
half-inch to three quarter inches wide.  But they varied quite a bit in
elevation.  Here's the results:

              Vertical
   Torque      Group
   in/lb       Inches
   ------     --------
     15         3.21

     17         2.73

     19         1.54

     21         0.98

     23         0.72

     25         1.05

     27         1.66

     29         2.45

Seems somewhere around 22 inch/pounds is about right.  Had I not ran out
of ammo, I would have done more tests.

I didn't think group size would change that much as I varied the torque.
Highpower rifles don't change much over a 2X range of torque.  Perhaps it
is due to the rimfire's longer barrel time and greater effect barrel
vibrations have; perhaps not........

BB

From: bartb@hpfcla.fc.hp.com (Bart Bobbitt)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: How much torque?? (Bart?)
Date: 8 May 1994 13:14:05 -0400

David A. Horton (DHORTON@as.ua.edu) wrote:

: How much should the action screws be torqued?

  * Model 70s:

      + Front and back screws to 60 inch/pounds.

      + Middle screw to about 10 to 20 inch/pounds; it isn't critical.

  * Model 700s:

      Front and back screws to 50 inch/pounds.

      Caution:  Model 700s (40Xes, too) can have their tang bent if
                the receiver is not well supported along its entire
                bottom and too much torque is applied to the back screw.

: How frequently should I check the torque on the screws?

You should release the torque after each day's shooting.
So, you should torque 'em up again before each shooting session.

BB

Index Home About Blog