Index Home About Blog
From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: After it gets wet
Date: 2 Jul 90 19:28:31 GMT

In article <1990Jun29.163931.970@ism.isc.com>
anasaz!qip!bobm@asuvax.eas.asu.edu (Bob Maccione) writes:

>This may seem like a naive question, but are there pistols made
>that can survive a good dunking, like swimming, and then being
>shot, without having to be taken apart and of course without
>blowing up, etc. This assumes that there may also be water in
>the barrel, etc. This gun would be used for backpacking/camping
>and would be exposed to the elements. Please don't start the

Water immersion will not hurt most firearms or factory loaded
center-fire ammunition. Rimfire ammunition is not as well sealed, and
the powder may become wet. CCI .22 rimfire is more effectively
waterproofed because the paraffin based lubricant covers the crimped
case mouth also. Water in the bore will drain out of firearms of .30
cal. or larger, but those of smaller bores must be drained by pointing
the muzzle down and partially extracting the cartridge from the chamber
to break the surface tension so the water will run out. If you fire an
M16 or similar small caliber, high velocity rifle with water in the
bore you will burst the barrel. I have seen numerous cases where this
has happened. The best way to protect firearms from complete salt water
immersion is to thoroughly clean and lubricate them with Break Free CLP
or another lubricant meeting MIL-L-43460. Exposed metal parts which are
regularly subjected to salt spray in the cokpit of an open boat should
be "painted" liberally with Lee Liquid Alox on top of the Break Free,
and a thin brown coating allowed to dry. The calcium soap base of the
Liquid Alox is the same stuff Ziebart uses to rustproof your car. It
will also rustproof your gun. Do not apply it to the inside of the
chamber or bore, however, since it hardens like cosmolene. Remove the
stuff by steam cleaning or with mineral spirits in good ventilation. If
your weapon takes a bath in salt water, simply field strip it and wash
it out with clean fresh water to remove the corrosive salts, then reoil
and reassemble. It is best to keep ammunition in water-tight containers
until needed. Tie a personal floatation device (PFD) to each  M2A1 .50
cal. sized can, and you can recover it if it goes overboard. Most
reliable weapons I have tested in salt spray conditions are the M1911A1
pistol, stainless GP100, stainless Mini-14, and YES the M16A2. In hot,
humid environments use a water-resistant grease such as Amoco FG grease
or Plastilube on parts like the hammer cam and bolt roller of the
Garand, Mini-14 or M14.  Safe trip and good luck.

--

	Ed Harris at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Newsgroups: rec.guns
From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Subject: Re: Let's talk about lubricants
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 90 19:15:24 GMT

In article <1990May29.172647.406@ism.isc.com> pls@cup.portal.com writes:
>metal failure. This person was recommending either Break-Free or a food
>grade lubricant intended for use on stainless steel.

The grease I referred to in the earlier post you might have seen is
known in the trade as "FG Grease" or simply "food grease". The stuff I
use is Amoco brand of FG grease, but other manufacturers, such as Texco
also make it. I don't have the technical data sheet handy, but if you
cal 1-800-OK-AMOCO you can be put in touch with a local industrial
products supplier who can sell you food machinery grease. If you write
them on a company letterhead they may send you a 1/2 pound sample,
which will last you a LONG time!!