Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Question regarding Mildew   (On Topic) ;=)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:42:19 -0500

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:49:09 GMT, Chris Bryant <bryantrv-06@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:43:40 +0000, Lee Bray wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark
>>
>>     I am supposing this is something you get from a boat place?  Will look
>> around and see if I can get some and give it a try.  I even used that
>> thick Bleach and it did not even dent it!   But am willing to try
>> anything. Thanks for the suggestion!
>
>You could also try pool chlorine- cheap and powerful.

Yes, that's what I used on my house in Atlanta.  Pressboard siding plus a
grove of pine trees = mildew and fungus that you can scrape off with a putty
knife.  I tried the usual suspects including one Northern sold that was
supposed to be for house mildew.  No good.

My mix consists of a saturated solution of Sock-it concentrated dry powder
pool chlorine and TSP.  Saturate the water with Sock-it.  Then saturate that
solution with TSP (saturate means to add the solid until no more dissolves.)
Allow the mix to sit and clarify as the filler solids settle out.  Then put it
in a plastic garden sprayer.

Spray it on and leave it until the mold turns pink.  Then pressure wash off.
There should not be a stain.

Caution:  I have no idea what this stuff might do to RV materials.  I'd
certainly want to test it on a small area, particularly light metals, before
going hog-wild.