Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Subject: Re: Woodchucks getting under house
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:51:34 -0400

>On Oct 8, 2:17?pm, letter...@invalid.com wrote:
>> I have what appears to be woodchucks getting under my trailer house.
>> I have metal skirting and they are digging under it. ?I keep filling
>> holes with rocks and concrete, but they keep digging new ones. ?I have
>> not seen the critter but a 4 to 6 inch hole would indicate a woodchuck
>> to me, and I have seen them around here. ?
>>
>> Aside from catching it in the act and using a rifle, what can I use?
>> Rat poison? ?Another poison? ?If I use a live trap, what do I put in
>> for bait? ?
>> Note: I dont want my farm cats hurt in the process.

Do your cats try to go in the hole?

If not, a kill trap would probably be most satisfactory.  This kind of trap is
spring-loaded and forms an open square or rectangle when set.  There is a
small trigger tab hanging down.  It is place in the opening of the den of
otters, beavers and similar critters.  When the critter walks through the
opening, he touches the trip, the trap snaps shut and instantly breaks his
neck.

Around here these have almost totally replaced the traditional leg trap for
fur trappers.  The instant kill means that the animal doesn't struggle and
fight and mess up the pelt.

The nice thing about this kind of trap is that you don't have to figure out
what kind of bait to use because no bait is necessary.  All you do is place
the trap in a known travel path.

This obviously wouldn't work if there is any possibility of one of your cats
exploring the hole.  If your cats come inside (barn, house, etc) at night then
perhaps you could set the trap in the evening and remove it in the AM if it
hasn't been tripped.

IF you want to try a live trap then my first shot for bait(without having done
any research on the subject) would be peanut butter.  I've caught all sorts of
critters, including, ahem, a skunk, using peanut butter.  A skunk in a live
trap is an experience!  You might try googling to see what this critter's
natural diet is but I bet peanut butter, especially if you toast it a little
with a torch to give it a nice aroma, will do the trick.  I'm betting that
you'll catch mostly cats :-)

If you have the time, it might be fun to sit out there one night with your
rifle and flashlight and catch the critter in the act.