Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Menopause, arthritis, FM or ????
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997
Newsgroups: alt.support.menopause

In <6118am$rt7$1@samba.rahul.net> Karen Kay <karen@wordwrite.com>
writes:

>Of course. But there's a difference between saying 'acupuncture is
>bunk' and 'acupuncture is bunk for me'. You want me to say
>'acupuncture works only for me', but I can't, because I've read
>studies and seen videos and so on. If you want me to say 'acupuncture
>may not work for everyone' I'm happy to do so. But I won't say that it
>works only on a minority of people. And it's certainly something not
>to overlook if you're having any sort of persistent pain, whether it
>worked for you or not.

    It's silly to argue about whether or not acupuncture works for some
people.  Of course it does.  Pain is one of those medical phenomena
where there are no lab tests, and the report of the patient is king.
And completely irrefutable.  In fact, arguing about it gets to be
excrushiating funny once you realize what you are doing.   What-- is
the skeptic going to tell the patient that the treatment didn't really
help his pain, but rather the patient just THINKS it did?

    It is for this reason that the success of many alternative methods
in controlling pain for certain patients is (somewhat oddly) far better
established epistemologically than the success of any standard medical
therapies for many other problems.  That irks some "quackbusters" no
end, but it's logical and quite true.  In fact, you can tell something
about the rationality of a given quackbuster by how well he realizes
the inappropriateness of the skeptical positition itself, when it comes
to pain issues in medicine.

                                           Steve Harris, M.D.

From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative,sci.med
Subject: Re: Acupuncture and the nervous system
Date: 23 Jul 1998 06:20:01 GMT

In <35b58f3d.2135319@news.clinet.fi> mnng@iname.com (Matti Narkia)
writes:

>I went on to search medline for abstracts of individual acupuncture
>antiemesis controlled trials. Here first I found in the order I found
>them:
>
>Anaesthesia 1997 Jul;52(7):658-661
>
>Acupuncture in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting.
>
>al-Sadi M, Newman B, Julious SA
>
>Department of Anaesthesia, Poole Hospital Trust, UK.
>
>The efficacy of intra-operative acupuncture at the PC6 point in the
>prevention of postoperative nausea or vomiting was studied. A
>double-blind randomised controlled study of acupuncture versus placebo
>was performed in 81 patients scheduled for day case gynaecological
>laparoscopic surgery. Failure of treatment was defined as the occurrence
>of nausea or vomiting prior to or within 24 h of discharge. The use of
>acupuncture reduced the incidence of postoperative nausea or vomiting in
>hospital from 65% to 35% compared with placebo and after discharge from
>69% to 31% compared with placebo.
>
>--
>
>Comment: This is a double blind trial. In the abstract sham acupuncture
>is not mentioned, but is a double blind trial possible without it?

   In my opinion, no.  So I'd like to know the answer to this question,
too.  After all, acupuncture is supposed to be more than just sticking
a needle in any old place, and promising a result (which, by placebo
effect, is bound to happen 40% of the time, and more if the procedure
is painful).

                                       Steve Harris, M.D.

>-----
>
>Comment: This study used acupressure and sham acupressure. Controlling
>seems to be ok.

   That depends on what the "sham wrist band" did.  Did it produce
pressure, but at the wrong point?  Or was it just band?

   The difference is important.  Much nausea is a result of
overstimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system.  Pain and
discomfort are antedotal to this kind of nausea.  A placebo for
acupuncture must produce just as much discomfort as the "correct"
procedure, or it is completely invalid.  Anybody can cause a patient
pain or discomfort, after all.  You don't need fancy Chinese training
for that, and if this is all that is going on, we can find a lot of
cheaper ways than acupuncture to do it.  Not that when anesthesia is
used with acupuncture, it does NOT work on nausea.  That result is
trying to tell us something, no doubt.

                                        Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog