Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals,soc.culture.usa,sci.agriculture,
	sci.environment,sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: Sexy Beef: Most Disgusting Sprol Post Yet
Date: 5 Jun 2005 13:27:44 -0700

>>All of that homones, antibiotics, and other garbage in the meat isn't
very good for people. It turns out that the hormones in the meat cause
estrogen levels to rise in people who eat it
< http://www.fas.usda.gov/itp/po=ADlicy/hormone2.html >. <<

COMMENT:

Do you read your own cites?  This one certainly does not say that. I
challenge you to prove it.  Given that the amounts of hormone involved
are far less than you'd find in other foods (eggs) and also far less
than the body produces, even before puberty, this seems highly
unlikely. So show your cites.

>>Even though the EU won't allow it, the USDA insists that the rise in
hormone levels is safe. Especially for children. <<

What rise in hormone levels?  You presume that which is not in
evidence.

>>Do any of your friends have daughters who have experienced premature
sexual development? You'd better not ask them. <<

Age of menarche is dropping in the EU as well, as it does in all
developed countries, no matter how they raise their cattle. Explain
that.

This is a function of weight gain and total food intake. It DOES happen
more frequently, but only because we have fatter teenagers, no
hormone-fed teenagers. It would happen just as much with junkfood fed
girls no matter what kind of beef they ate.

BMC Pediatr. 2003 Apr 30;3(1):3.

The relation of menarcheal age to obesity in childhood and adulthood:
the Bogalusa heart study.

Freedman DS, Khan LK, Serdula MK, Dietz WH, Srinivasan SR, Berenson GS;
Bogalusa heart study.

Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA. DFreedman@cdc.gov

BACKGROUND: Several studies have shown that girls who undergo menarche at
a relatively young age tend to be more obese as adults. However, because
childhood (pre-menarcheal) levels of weight and height are associated
with an earlier menarche, the increased prevalence of adult obesity among
early maturers may largely reflect the persistence of childhood obesity
into adulthood.  METHODS: We examined these interrelationships among 1179
girls (65% white, 35% black) who were examined as children (mean age, 9
y), adolescents, and adults (mean age, 26 y) in the Bogalusa Heart Study.
RESULTS: Both white and black women who reported that they underwent
menarche before age 12 y had, on average, higher adult levels of weight
(+10 kg), body mass index (BMI, +4 kg/m2) and skinfold thicknesses (+6
mm) than did women who underwent menarche after age 13.5 y.  However,
relatively fat children tended to undergo menarche earlier than did
thinner children, with each standard deviation increase in pre-menarcheal
BMI increasing the odds of early menarche (<12 y) by approximately
2-fold. Stratified and regression analyses indicated that (1) adult
obesity was more strongly associated with childhood obesity than with
menarcheal age, and (2) about 60% to 75% of the apparent effect of
menarcheal age was due to the influence of childhood obesity on both
menarcheal age and adult obesity. CONCLUSIONS: Although additional
longitudinal studies are needed, it is likely that the importance of
early menarche in adult obesity has been overestimated.  Most of apparent
influence of menarcheal age on adult obesity is attributable to the
association of childhood obesity with both menarcheal age and adult
obesity.

PMID: 12723990 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals,soc.culture.usa,sci.agriculture,
	sci.environment,sci.med.nutrition
Date: 5 Jun 2005 15:30:36 -0700

>>It's a function of hormonal bioactivity Herr Doktor. <<

And what evidence is there that children eating hormone-treated beef,
and opposed to non-hormone treated beef, have more "hormonal
bioactivity."

>>You do your assigned job quite well Harris. It paid off to take the
fall and sell out to become a "Dr." didn't it? <<

No.  I've spent most of my career with about as much money as Dr.
Zoidberg.

>>I know your story Harris.Poor boy wants the wealth that being a doctor
would provide but doesn't have the money for med school. <<

Poor guess. I was middle class. I had to borrow money for medical
school.

>>Unnamed patrons supply the living accomodations, a car, tuition, etc.,
and a stipend.<<

COMMENT:
LOL. Don't I wish!  My total list of patrons is: GSL, NDSL.  Not only
did they have names, but they wanted their money back with interest!
NDSL didn't want quite the rates of Guido and Vinny, but close enough.

>> The fix is in and you didn't do anything except coast along until the
prof. got scared of sliding you through and demanded you actually do some
work to earn your passing marks. <<

COMMENT:
Now you've taken all leave of reality. But it's entertaining. I wonder
how many people would actually need to be paid off for somebody to
become a board certified licensed California physician, without doing
the work?  The mind reels. But here you are, suggesting it.  Which is
an index with how far out of contact with reality you are.

<<Well, you did it Harris and now you'll spend the rest of your life
paying them back. <<

COMMENT:
Nah, I paid THEM (ie, the Feds) back years ago. I can now afford new
tires for my 1982 Volvo 240 DL.  But I still refuse to pay for the dang
overdrive relay switch. You know what they WANT for that litte sucker,
new?  It's criminal. How come nuts like you can't do something useful,
and look into things like this?

>>What *is* a soul worth these days?......30 pieces of silver? <<

COMMENT:

No, but if you have the right Volvo overdrive relay switch, we can
maybe talk.

SBH

Index Home About Blog