Index Home About Blog
From: B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Oxalates
Date: 7 Jul 1998 07:23:03 GMT

In <> "physical (Droll Troll)"
<> writes:
>One wonders why calcium oxalates do not form in the bloodstream
>itself!  Not concentrated enough, I would presume, until they get to the
>	Regarding kidney malfunction, the stones form _after_ the kidney,
>essentially (renal pelvis).  So, the kidney would appear to be doing its
>job, and the problem would appear to be one of simple precipitation
>reactions and conditions:  Mostly concentration, and pH.

   If there is enough oxalate, the crystals precipitate in the tiny
renal tubules, long before the larger collecting ducts, and stop renal
function entirely.  That's what kills your dog or cat when it licks up
that sweet antifreeze, and the ethylene glycol is metabolized to the
corresponding acid.

                                  Steve Harris, M.D.

From: B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.physics
Subject: Re: Drinking Heavy Water Reversible?
Date: 28 Oct 1998 08:59:09 GMT

In <> (Benjamin P. Carter)

>Now I'm starting to remember. The liver metabolizes glycol to oxalate,
>which then messes up the kidneys. Alcohol somehow interferes with the
>process in the liver.
>Glycol is dangerous because, as the name indicates, it has a sweet taste.
>Children and animals are at risk. Dogs, cats, and wild animals will lap
>up puddles left by cars with leaky radiators.

Correct!  Vets have a nifty drug called 4-methylpyrazole which they use
to treat ethylene glycol poisoned animals.  It does much the same trick
as ethyl alcohol does in inhibiting the alcohol dehydrogenase, but
lasts longer and is much less toxic for critters like cats, which don't
tolerate ethanol too well (we fermented-fruit-eating primates are
better at this).  I'm not sure if it's a drug available for this in the
US for humans (though it is in other countries).  Here in the US, you
might still have to get IV ethanol.  Or a couple of stiff shots of
whiskey, for strictly medicinal purposes.

Index Home About Blog