Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com (Steven B. Harris )
Subject: Re: Canker sore - the shape of the ulcer
Date: 09 Oct 1995
Newsgroups: sci.med,sci.med.dentistry

In <DG73vJ.H13@world.std.com> ae@world.std.com (Arthur Edwards) writes:

>I suffer from aphthous stomatitis, canker sores. I find the shape
>of the ulcer to be puzzling. I mean why is there a characteristic
>yellowish center and raised border in the halo shape. What I mean
>to say is why not simply an oval mass rather like a pimple. What is
>it about this type of infection or this type of tissue that results
>in the characteristic shape?

  If you have somewhat painful lesions, and always get them on the same
side, in about the same spot(s), you probably actually have a herpes
simplex infection (i.e., a "cold sore"), only one showing on a mucosal
spot (such as inside your cheek), instead of your lip.  The central
yellow is tissue being actively destroyed by virus coming out of a
nerve ending, and the red ring with edema is normal inflammatory
response of surrounding tissues reacting to the chemicals being
released from the tissue under attack.

                                        Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog