Index Home About Blog
From: "Steve Harris" <SBHarris123@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: cast off really hurts
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:56:25 -0600

"DMG" <quinn@snet.net> wrote in message
news:oYuQ8.24000$AY1.3292352642@newssvr10.news.prodigy.com...
> I had my cast taken off my arm today after 4 weeks.  Two weeks before that
> in a splint.
>
> I am really surprises how much it hurts and how really swollen it is.
> It looks just like the day I broke it except it is not black and blue.
> If I jerk my wrist at all it just about takes me to my knees.  I have
> been icing it all day and that helps a little I am just wondering about
> how long this pain will last.  It is nice to have an elbow that bends I
> am just surprise and disappointed that it hurts so much.
>
> Sorry for sounding like a wimp I am usually not so affected by pain.
>
> Thanks,
> DMG

COMMENT: You only ice acute injuries (this *occasionally* includes icing
after really intensive physical therapy, but I really wonder if that's worth
it, since if you need ice it probably means you did yourself too much injury
to have been worth it). At your stage you need mostly HEAT, lack of
constriction, and flexion with the heat.  Casts are nasty things which
interfere with tissue lymph flow and cause edema and all kinds of delays and
screwups in healing.  You'll be surprised how much better it looks in a
week.

--
Steve Harris
You can email me at sbharris123@ix.netcom.com