Index Home About Blog
From: ((Steven B. Harris))
Subject: Re: Excessive L-Cysteine harmful ?
Date: 19 Apr 1995
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative

>   I was informed that Hair Factors by Twin Labs is good for thinning
>hair. They recommendt that you take 3-6 tablets daily. The composition
>of each tablet is :
>L-Cysteine   167mg per tablet
>Vitamin C    500 mg
>Biotin         1000 mcg
>PABA         167 mg
>Inositol     334 mg
>
>    Is so much of L-Cysteine and the other constituents safe for
>the body ?
>    The label saya that L-Cysteine and Vitamin C are formulated in a
>scientifically determined 1 to 3 ratio. Vitamin C helps keep
>L-Cysteine in its reduced and soluble state.
>    Is it ok for me to take the tablets or there are possibilities
>of side effects ?

Pearson and Shaw have some mad idea that if you don't take vitamin C
with your cysteine, that it will all turn into cystine and give you
kidney stones.  Needless to say, there is not evidence for this.  In
fact, the last time I looked into it, vitamin C supplimentation
increased urinary cystine a bit.  The 3 to 1 ratio is also from Pearson
and Shaw, and also something they pulled out of the air.  By now it
seems to have become gospel.

The only thing cysteine will do to you is give you really smelly
intestinal gas.  On behalf of the AMA, if you take it, let me warn you
to avoid elevators in really tall buildings.

                                                 Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog