Index Home About Blog
From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: alt.support.cancer,sci.med.diseases.cancer,sci.med
Subject: Re: Cimtidine (Tagamet) as an adjuvant cancer drug
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 19:21:09 -0600

"Steve Eisenberg" <steveeisen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fd399d98.0208081649.7a185080@posting.google.com...
> Rian  wrote:
>
> > In my hospital in Amstedam phase III trial is done with endostatin.
> > People comefrom all over europe to it.
>
> According to the company trying to get endostatin approved in the US,
> it's only Phase I.  See:
>
> http://www.entremed.com/patient/alltrials.cfm
>
> The greatest triumph of Dutch medical science that comes to mind, the
> development of kidney dialysis, occurred during the German occupation,
> when Dutch medicine was rather less closely linked with the U.S.  The
> distancing of U.S. and Dutch medical research didn't hurt all that
> much then, and, I think, keeping some distance from us Yanks, while
> still reading our journals, would hurt even less now.  It's hard to
> see how linking itself with America's current risk-adverse drug
> research and approval process is likely to bring back the days of
> Dutch medical research greatness.  And it's a shame the Dutch aren't
> as skeptical about the FDA as they are about U.S. foreign policy.
>
> Steve Eisenberg    Wynnewood, Pennsylvania  U.S.A.

Indeed. For what it's worth, the guy who did the Dutch research on dialysis
in the USA, Willem Kolff, later moved to the US (Salt Lake City) where-upon
the US medical establishment largely held him up from developing the
artificial heart at the proper pace when he was younger, then ignored him
later because of his age.

He doesn't have nice things to say about the FDA either.

SBH

Index Home About Blog