Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition,misc.health.alternative
Subject: Re: ear infection
Date: 15 Aug 2005 18:39:48 -0700

Max C. wrote:
> > *Accutally, as badly as Echinacea has done in the last controlled
> > trials, it might be better off homeopathized. It wouldn't work any
> > *worse* and it would save some Echinacea.
>
> There are two problems with Echinacea with regards to studing it.
> First, the Native Americans used very specific parts of the plant for
> very specific problems.

COMMENT:

I read widely on the stuff, once. The only evidence I found for the
Amerinds using it for ANYTHING was to chew the root for toothache. So
ironically, the main use this stuff has been touted for in the West, is
not really an old one. But it sounds really secret and mystical to
pretend it's an ancient native remedy.

As if the aboriginal Americans were really concerned about head colds
and snotty noses while they were out there trying not to starve on the
great plains.  Riiiiiight.  Toothache, I might believe, because
untreated that's a whole other animal--- way worse than a cold. Also,
there are plenty of saponins in roots which are somewhat numbing, since
they're emulsifiers (saponin = L. for soap) and therefore screw up
membranes and nerves in membranes.

SBH

Index Home About Blog