Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: OT: US citizens lose right to private property ownership
Date: 23 Jun 2005 12:51:15 -0700

>>Corporate rights once again rules over personal rights in the US.
TC <<

COMMENT:

You say "in the US" as though this was something restricted to here,
and somehow related to "corporations."  I'm going to re-post something

From Socks:

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 23 Jun 2005 14:36:45 -0700

>>And what happened in Winnipeg was re-vitalization of a business area.
The situation in Connecticut is forced corporate expropriation of
home-owners.

Apples and oranges. <<

Not at all. In the US it's always CALLED "revitalization" of a business
area, too. But "vital" is a relative term in the US just as it is in
Canada. It all comes down to whether or not somebody thinks they can
make MORE money with the property than the people who presently live on
it. Call it what you like.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 24 Jun 2005 12:01:01 -0700

>>There are cases where a civic govt may expropriate private land for
civic improvements like roads, sewer, etc. But in NO case will a civic
govt expropriate private land for the benefit of a commercial
improvement. This does not happen in Canada. >>

COMMENT:

Look, don't pretend to me that there's some monolithic and clear law
that applies to all of Canada which prevents all this. I know better.

First of all, the reason all this is a Federal Case in the US is that
our constitution actually HAS a clause in the Fifth Amendment
prohibiting government takings of private property without "just
compensation."  That applies to the entire country, and that is why
this latest supreme court decision was so important as an overriding
guideline.

By contrast, the nearest thing Canada has to a constitution (Charter of
Rights) doesn't mention private property rights at all, so in Canada,
the corresponding private defense against eminent domain is merely
protected at the provincial level and in the common law. So therefore
not only is it impossible to say anything about "all of Canada" without
going through all of that law, but I think you're smoking something
really strong if you think that in every province there are clauses in
the laws protecting private homes from eminent domain seizure *except*
to build "roads" or some very well *defined* list of public works that
must exclude commercial ventures. But feel free to prove me wrong. Good
luck in your struggle though a mountain of provincial law.

There's no doubt that Canada, like everywhere else, can take (with
compensation) a private home for certain public uses--- a road being
the classic example. The reason I think you're going to have a hard
time at this, is it's not at all clear what "public use" constitutes,
and where one draws the line. Remember, even in the US, the properties
taken were not taken to be simply given to somebody else. That's still
illegal. The government continues to own them as public property, but
leases them out to a private corporation to run as commercial
businesses. As might be done by parts of numerous public facilities.
Can the Canadian government take your land and house to build a
railroad?  With train station?  With train station and associated
shops? An airport?  An airport complex with restaurants inside?  Who
runs those restaurants?  Now it starts to get complicated, does it not?
 If the government continues to own the land but leases out some
businesses run on it to private corporations, where do you draw the
line?  That was the problem in the US. And ironically, it was a US
problem only BECASE we have individual property rights at the national
law level, whereas (again) in Canada, you don't. So you'll have to face
all the same problems, but province by province.

And don't pretend you have already. If you're doing economic
redevelopment in inner cities, you're running up against homes. You'll
no more let Ms. McGrundy sit in her little cottage and garden
surrounded by skyscrapers just because she won't sell, any more than we
will. It's a nice fiction, and very cute. It's not reality. In the real
world, the planners always find a reason why an access road needs to go
RIGHT there. And there's no law that planned roads used to condemn
properties,  MUST then thereafter be built, in Canada any more than the
US.

SBH

Index Home About Blog