Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: A blow to natural food shoppers
Date: 31 May 2005 18:03:21 -0700

Welsh's still sells 100% grapejuices. But you're right--- there is a
big trend toward selling people diluted juice.  And an even bigger
trend toward selling people "100% juice" blends which (if you look
carefully) are blends of cheap white grape juice with other stuff, with
the "other stuff" getting most of the label coverage. The economic
pressure on Welsh's to do more of this must be unbearable, and I've
long wanted to be a fly on the wall in their boardrooms whevever this
issue comes up. There must be some people of giant and granite
integrity there, even to have lasted as long as they have, with as few
products as they have.

In the US, the largest manufacturer trying to go out and out *against*
the economic tide and still sell juices which are 100% single juice
(blueberry, pomegranite, pear, etc), is Knudsen. Needless to say, a
much smaller company that Welsh's.  And mostly to be found in
healthfood isles, because they sell a product which is necessarily a
lot more expensive than the standard juice isle crap.  But hat's off to
them.

A product that deserves special mention is the 100% "Rubyred"
grapefruit juice, not from concentrate, sold by Florida's Natural
(alongside the "not from concentrate" OJ in the paper cartons in the
dairy isle). These days, it's getting pretty hard to find 100%
grapefruit juice even sold by the old standbys like Ocean Spray. Yes,
you'll find "100% juice" that says "grapefruit", but if you check the
label in detail you'll see it's not 100% grapefruit juice.  Very
sneaky, these labeling laws. If it says "100% grapefruit juice," it
legally has to be. But it can say just about anything ELSE, and not be.

You can also find 100% pineapple juices from several sources. But oddly
enough, most often in cans.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 31 May 2005 18:10:38 -0700

Ah, I just noticed that you'd specificed "frozen" concentrate. Yes,
Welshes still sells that for grapejuice, but your store may not have
it. It's the only 100% single-juice concentrate besides orange I can
think of, though.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 1 Jun 2005 11:00:39 -0700

>>For SBH:   What is your opinion of the health benefits of
drinking pomegranite juice? <<

COMMENT:

Lots of indirect evidence that the kinds of things you find in all
strongly colored red and blue and purple juices and berries are good
for you.  I drink them all myself, making a kind of all-purpose "blue
juice" out of Knudsen blueberry and pomegranite juice with Welsh's
grape juice concentrate added. I mix them in a washed-out just-finished
gallon milk jug, which I use for the purpose only once before tossing
(never re-use these things-- they grow specific bugs over time). It's a
potent and very good drink. Whether it improves my health at all I
cannot say, but it's good enough to have a shot of, most mornings, even
if not.

SBH

Index Home About Blog