Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.life-extension,sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: Urine/Saliva PH, Health, affected by type of Calcium?
Date: 28 Feb 1999 12:37:49 GMT

In <36d87a2b.19672526@news.west.net> garabet@west.net writes:

>I feel there is a possibility here that Mr. Reams may have been onto
>something. What comes to mind here is Pasteurs remarks about the
>terrain being more important than the organism (or something like
>that), in that if you make the terrain inhospitable, the bacteria
>doesn't flourish, and vice versa. If secretory PH's can be viewed as
>the body's terrain, then I am sure by altering them, we can make more
>or less likely for organisms to flourish, or biological or chemical
>reactions to take place. At the very least there might be some
>implications on dental health. It appears that certain bacteria
>responsible for bad breath for example tend to flourish in too
>alkaline or too acid saliva. Alkaline saliva encourages the formation
>of calculus, etc. After bringing my saliva PH up to near 6.4, I did
>notice an improvement in oral health.
>
>I didn't stay too long on this calcium regimen as I was still leary. I
>would like our scholarly folks in this NG to offer their opinions on
>the health implications of manipulating the Urine and Saliva ph.
>
>I found the Calcium/PH chart on this page for your interest. They are
>selling supplements and stuff. I have no connection with them
>
>Calcium Ph Chart
>http://www.top.net/harouffd/calchart.html

   You can drive you urine pH up by eating salts which are basic or
which are metabolized to bases such as bicarbonate.  These include
salts like baking soda, milk of magnesia, and all the calcium salts on
the market (lactate, citrate, carbonate, lactobionate) except calcium
phosphate (and caclium from bone products).  But it's not the calcium,
it's the other stuff.  Magnesium chloride and sulfate (Epsom Salts) are
the magnesium salts which have no effect.

  I'm surprised you can do anything to you saliva pH this way.  Saliva
is relatively pure water.  Far as I can tell, its pH  varies little, no
matter what you eat.

Index Home About Blog