Index Home About Blog
From: kimberln@crl.com (J. Kimberlin)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Small rotary tables?
Date: 31 Aug 1995 16:52:21 -0700

>I have been wanting to build a small rotary table for my Sherline for
>some time.  I know I can get the Sherline model, but in addition to the
>cost of the Sherline unit, I want to build in some special features for
>some of the work I do.
>
>The problem is getting a worm and gear.  Small parts doesn't carry that
>type of gear.  I am having a hard time finding a source.  I know there
>are machinery places that do sell gears locally, but for the hobbyist who
>works weekdays, it is hard to get to these places, plus they do not
>really like to bother with very small orders.  I would prefer to find a
>mail order house (that doesn't have atrocious minimum order).  Any ideas?
>
>Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

My local Bearings Engineering bearing house can get about anything in a
bearing or gear catalogue - Boston, Browning, and others.  They will
order for me just on a phone call, without a deposit, and I order so
infrequently that they don't know who I am.  I would suggest you find
what you want in a catalogue, then simply call your local bearings house
and order it.  Some, like mine, are open on Saturday too.  Most will ship
UPS if you have to get it that way and take credit cards.  Bearings
Engineering, Bearings Inc., King Bearings, etc., have no minimum order
and lots of their orders are for one bearing.  A $25 minimum order is
nothing these days, however.  Your worm and pinion will cost more than that.

JerryK

Index Home About Blog