Index Home About Blog
From: (Alan Frisbie)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Need good adhesive to mount brass nameplate to aluminium mount 
Date: 10 Nov 94 16:20:25 PST

In article <>, (NEIL B. GANDLER) writes:

>      I am currently trying to determine the best type of
> adhesive I could use to bond a 3 x 1 inch x 16th thick brass
> engraved nameplate to a similar dimensioned piece of
> aluminium to act as a mount. I want an adhesive the works
> with a relatively thin layer that dries clean and is easy to
> remove excess with a mild chemical. I also would like an
> adhesive the will provide a very strong permanent bond
> especially over time that allows some movement and play
> before completely drying. If such a product exists, I would
> like to know. I would appreciative any advice.

Ordinary double-sided tape may do the job for you.   The roll I
have is only 1/2" wide, but I am sure I have seen it in 1"
wide rolls.   The label is gone from mine, but I remember that
it was made by 3M (Scotch).    Check a well-stocked stationery

Another 3M product that is actually made for your application
is their type 467 (2 mil) or 468 (5 mil - for rougher surfaces)
laminating adhesive.   They were specifically developed for
the nameplate industry and exhibit excellent holding strength
and outstanding aging for a long term bond.   If you need
higher temperature (above 350 F) resistance, adhesion to HSE 
plastics (see below), or exceptional shear strength, try the 
-MP variant of either one.   Neither variant will work worth a
damm on LSE plastics (there are other products for these).

The only parts that don't meet your specifications are that 
the adhesive is very solvent resistant and the bond is
INSTANT.   You will NOT be able to move it once you apply
the nameplate.

They normally come in rolls with a polycoated kraft liner.
The adhesive is unrolled and applied to the nameplate.   This
leaves a sandwich of nameplate/adhesive/liner.   The liner
can then be removed and the nameplate/adhesive combination
stuck to the equipment or whatever.

If you want to try some, I could send you a small sheet.  One
of my clients uses a lot of it.   I would suggest that the
one you should use is type 467.   This is because the metals
are smooth, you want a thin layer, and both 467 and 467-MP
have superior adhesion to metals.

A very few people (I am one) are sensitive to the -MP version.
Whenever I smell it, I have a strong urge to vomit.   I have
not met anyone else who has this problem, but you might want
to consider this.


HSE = High Surface Energy Plastics: Kapton, Phenolic, Nylon,
Alkyd enamel, Polyester, Epoxy paint, Polyurethane paint, ABS,
Polycarbonate, PVC, Noryl, Acrylic, Polane paint.

LSE = Low Surface Energy Plastics: PVA, Polystyrene, Acetal,
EVA, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Tedlar, Teflon.

Metals have *extremely* high surface energies (10-30 times
that of HSE plastics), copper and aluminum being the highest.

--  Alan E. Frisbie               Frisbie@Flying-Disk.Com
--  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
--  4759 Round Top Drive          (213) 256-2575 (voice)
--  Los Angeles, CA 90065         (213) 258-3585 (FAX)

Index Home About Blog