Index Home About Blog
From: REMOVE_THISdwilkins@means.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: silver in electric contacts
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:34:48 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:54:11 -0400, gstuff <lous@angelfire.com> wrote:

>does anyone know the % of silver in contacts
>thanks

My recollection (and it has been a loong time) is that most were about
20%CdO. They are made by starting with the Ag-Cd alloy and then heat
treating in an oxidizing atmosphere after forming the shape. This
oxidizes the Cd metal to the oxide.

If you want to recover the  Ag I would recommend electrolysis. An easy
way would be to dissolve in nitric acid, neutralize, and then throw in
some copper wire. The result is beautiful Ag crystals.

We used to make silver "Christmas trees" this way  by shaping a copper
wire like a pine tree and setting it in a beaker containing a silver
nitrate solution.

Index Home About Blog