Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.misc
Subject: Re: Polishing old glass?
From: John De Armond
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 07:35:38 GMT

sinnettc@ccmail.orst.edu (DRAGON!) writes:

>>Can anyone recommend a glass polish which might work?  Perhaps a
>>lens polish or mirror polish, but something which works on glass?
>>I can use a pad in a drill or a buffing wheel on a grinder if that
>>is the best approach.

>Several years ago I saw an article in Popular Mechanics or something about a
>polishing compound for glass that was supposed to remove the pitting from
>acid rain on your windshield.  I don't know where you'd find it if not in an
>automotive parts store.  Might be worth a shot though, and who knows, maybe
>you can use it on your car too!

No big mystery.  Glass polishing is an ordinary everyday task done by
glass artists and crystalware repairmen everywhere.  The process
starts out with jewler's rouge and ends up with cerium oxide.
Check the yellow pages under "glass" and/or "crystal repair".
You can probably get a crystal repairman to give you a bit of the
various abrasives they use.

john

Index Home About Blog