Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Whats the true definition of millwright
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:26:00 GMT

Where I came from (UK) the millwrights covered every function from installing
and removing machine tools.  They also repaired, realigned and rebuilt all
manner of machine tools and plant machinery..Generating, hydraulic (BIG
stuff).steam engines..cranes, furnaces, presses and forges, boilers..the whole

A highly skilled jack of all trades...Rigger, Fitter, Machinist, Plant engineer,


Mike Graham wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:50:36 -0400 (EDT), John Jacobs wrote:
> >What is the true definion of millwright? Please advise.
>   True definition?  No such thing. 8-)
>   A millwright used to be the guy you'd call to level your new mill or lathe
> or whatever and get it ready to work.  He was often also the guy who'd
> scrape the ways and do a lot of the refurbishing.  He was also often a
> rigger who would move the machine from place to place before levelling it.
>   Technically, dictionary definition, a millwright is a person who builds
> mills.

From: Robert Bastow <>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Whats the true definition of millwright
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:58:58 GMT

I think you hit the nail on the head there Fred.

"Tool and Die Maker" is an easy catch-all term for a highly skilled metal
worker.  That is someone able to take a set of drawings or a sketch, make and
fit together those parts, into a functioning entity.

I trained as a Machine Tool Machinist/Toolmaker/Fitter/Repairer, and went on
into Special Machines/Automation/Robotics/Materials handling/packaging, with
periods spent in Subcontract Machining/prototype building and

So much easier to say "I am a toolmaker"..

teenut wrote:

> That's something that has puzzled me for as long as I can remember.
> My father was a "tool and die maker", but to my knowledge he never
> made a tool or a die (well, he may have, but that wasn't the mainstay
> of his work); he made prototype machines and assemblies for companies
> who patronised his shop. I guess the title "tool and die maker" is
> just easier to say than "prototype machine and/or sub-assembly
> fabricator".

From: Robert Bastow <"teenut"@>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Some easy(?) questions
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 15:15:21 GMT

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:17:37 GMT, peter michaux wrote:
> >1) What does F.O.B. mean?

By International Convention it means "Free On Board"  And must always be
accompanied by an FOB Point.

"FOB Our Works"  Means that the supplier is responsible for Supply, packing and
crating etc and for placining on board YOUR transportstion at THEIR Loading

FOB New Orleans (Referring to sea freight) Means that they are responsible for
Supply, Packing for sea freight, transporting to dockside and arranging for
placing on board the ship.

It has important legal meanings...The FOB point being where ownership passes
(Payment being due at that point) also determins the point at which
responsibility for INSURANCE begins and ends.

A famous case refers to a shipment of steam locomotives being shipped FOB
Liverpool. Normally the point of insurance is taken to be the ship's rail.  If
it is damaged or lost befor crossing the ships rail it is the responsibility of
the FOB shipper and his Insurers.  If the point of loss or damage is beyond the
ship's rail..the loss must be covered y the PURCHASER'S Insurance.

In the Liverpool case, a locomotive was being swung over the ships rail when the
sling broke and if fell, first on the ships deck and then slipped into the water
(Where it remains to this day!)

Subsequent court hearings ruled, that as the locomotive had in fact CROSSED the
ships rail before falling OFF the ship into the dock..the FOB delivery
requirement had been met and the Purchaser's/Shipper's Insurance was responsible
for covering the loss.


Index Home About Blog