Index Home About Blog
From: "Thomas Norback" <tnorback@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.philosophy.meta
Subject: Re: Precise Statement of Anthropic Principle
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:07:03 -0500

The Weak Automotive Principle
The 1957 Chevy must be a possible consequence of any correct theory of the
universe.

The Strong Automotive Principle
The 1957 Chevy must be an inevitable consequence of any correct theory of
the universe.

Many theorists reject the Weak Automotive Principle as trivial and
unnecessary--that a theory will minimally conform to the possibility of
observed fact is implicit in what we mean by "theory".

The Strong Automotive Principle is often rejected as excessively strict.
Theories in which observed fact is inevitable are to be preferred, but only
ceteris paribus.  Considering the compelling nature of the 1957 Chevrolet a
"Necessary Chevy" theory will always be welcome, but only provided it does
not lack generality vis a vis non-automotive phenomena and provided it does
not require ad hoc assumptions justified only by the Strong Automotive
Principle itself.

Regards,
Tom Norback