Index Home About Blog
From: fcrary@rintintin.Colorado.EDU (Frank Crary)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy
Subject: Re: Gov't Subsidies (weather)
Date: 13 Aug 1996 01:30:32 GMT

In article <Dw06Lt.5yF%spenford@zoo.toronto.edu>,
Henry Spencer  <henry@zoo.toronto.edu> wrote:
>>The hurricane does more or less the same amount of property damage
>>regardless of the forecasting (the only difference I can think of
>>are windows being taped/boarded and loose objects being picked up:
>>i.e. not that much)...

>It's easy to forget that in the days before satellite-based forecasting,
>hurricanes used to kill people.  Sometimes a lot of people.  It wasn't
>feasible to evacuate the entire coastline each time, and there was no
>good way to tell just where the beast was going to hit.

Time for a personal story. When my grandfather was about 7 (~1905),
a _very_ big hurricane hit Charleston (his home) one evening.
It was big enough that a two-masted ship ended up floating along
one street. Their warning of the storm was a remark his mother
made around two in the afternoon, "We're going to have a big storm
today: All the birds are flying inland." Based on the timing
of that (~4 hours before the hurricane hit) and not knowing
how big a storm it would be (let alone the uncertainty of
forecasting weather by watching birds...) do you really think
they could or would have evacuated the city?

                                                 Frank Crary
                                                 CU Boulder

Index Home About Blog